Thursday, July 8, 2010

thesis it, spider killer

For several days now, I have been writing short journal entries in my notebooks.  I do my morning pages as soon as I get up and sometimes while I’m having my breakfast.  It doesn’t make my metaphors come out of hiding, but it sure is good exercise at reflexivity, which I’ll make use of when I write for my thesis.

The thesis.  Well, here’s good news: I finally have a topic, a working title, and an adviser!  Would you look at that!  Floating for two years and finally in a few months I will be defending my proposal.  In preparation, I’m reading, checking internet posts, and trying to relax when I feel I can’t absorb anything anymore.  Sometimes ige shows me an inspiring design-related link and I feel tempted to drop my books, grab a pen, and just doodle my way out of my misery.  Hee.

This is also the year I am tasked to do a documentary, and edit and possibly do the layout of a manual.   Big enough projects to keep me busy and consume time and precious neurons.  Remind me to save some (time and neurons) for my thesis.

In other news, this is the spider I killed last night:

I had to.  The thought of its presence in my room bothered me.
  
My weapons of choice:  the magical volatile liquid that is isopropyl alcohol, the deadly scent that is Victoria’s Secret So In Love perfume which I use occasionally, and my trusty Fila running shoe (the left one).  Oh, and a piece of crumpled paper I threw at the spider before it scampered nearer to me, nearer to its death.  Bwahahaha.  I made it dizzy first before plakking it to the wall. 

I couldn’t sleep immediately afterwards.  The endorphins and heady smell stayed around for a while.

The next time I see a big spider in my room (yes, I spare the small ones) I’ll go spray it with kerosene and make sure to record it being engulfed by flames.  Then I’ll post the video on Youtube so that other spiders may be warned, and stay away.

Stay away, I say.  I mean it.

1 comment:

fortuitous faery said...

OMG...what a graphic and aromatic description of arachnid death. Glad I'm not that spider. :P