Monday, June 9, 2014

sketching tools

I've been dabbling in sketching for the past four or so years now, accumulating all sorts of materials such as notebooks, pens, and watercolors. I had been trying to "discover" my own style and believe me when I say I've tried a lot. Like my handwriting, I don't think I will ever stick to just one style, and I realized that I just draw in the way and with the materials that strike my fancy at the moment.

Lately though, I've been feeling more comfortable with brush pens and watercolors: I make outlines with the brush and fill it in with various hues. Sometimes I use the waterbased paint brush, make outlines, and wet the outlines with the aquabrush. For figure drawing practice I sometimes use colored pencils because I don't have to worry about running out of ink. I have a lot to learn, but I'm feeling pretty good about it. I'm starting to like my drawings now, hahaha.

Drawn with a waterbased color brushpen (Paintastics black),
washed with water to 'spread' some of the ink.

Drawn using a brush pen with permanent ink and Dong-A watercolors. 

brush pen and watercolors

My newly-customized go-to sketchkit for a trip. Unipin .3, black Paintastics brush pen, Chinese brush pen, Pentel aquabrush, Schneider Creactive calligraphy pen with 1.1 nib, and Faber-Castell watercolor pencils. The notebook is from Papemelroti; I've added watercolor paper to the brown craft paper. Not in photo: the Dong-A watercolor set.