Monday, November 11, 2013

disturbed

Supertyphoon Haiyan, Yolanda in the Philippines, leaves me speechless. The trail of destruction, the loss of life, the damage to property, the lack of immediate help. Several local and international groups have stepped in to provide aid. I have read numerous reports, seen the shocking videos, watched heart-wrenching slideshows. I have seen comments of people around the world, from the hopeful and heartwarming, to the downright nasty and spiteful. I have been trying to work this weekend but I found I could not focus on my job; every now and then I would refresh my browser for new articles and updates, hoping against hope that it's not that bad, it's going to be alright, the death toll is not that high, people have been mobilized to restore order and provide relief, international aid will come. It doesn't feel right that I am here, safe and sound, and all I had been able to do was repost a few help lines and donate online.

My heart goes out to all those affected. I've learned that thoughts and prayers, though intangible, go a long way. 


No comments: