Tuesday, November 26, 2013

slide photographs: Buen and Merv

Three years ago, I took some film photos for the Lopez Memorial Museum's Now/here, In Zero In: Extensions exhibit series. Our little group, Plataporma, did a series of exploratory projects for the show. The photos I took were for our "Mapping" project. I used slide film because the photos were to be projected onto a wall, and had the films processed at FotoFabrik in Quezon City. The exhibit photos are now the property of the museum (I regret not scanning them first), but I still have plenty left over that didn't quite make the cut. These mounted slides are mostly behind-the-scenes shots (haha) when the guys and I were resting after a whole day of walking around the metro.

These photos are of fellow Plataporma members Buen Calubayan and Mervin Espina. Mark Salvatus was away in Japan at the time.

Buen Calubayan
start of the journey: Craig Street, Manila

Mervin Espina and Buen Calubayan

Buen Calubayan
lunch at Glorietta (and a serious Buen)

Buen Calubayan and Mervin Espina

Buen Calubayan and Mervin Espina
walking from the Lopez Museum

Buen Calubayan and Mervin Espina

Buen Calubayan

 Buen Calubayan and Mervin Espina
chilling at the Shangri-la food court after a long day

Mervin Espina
Merv with my Nikon F80

yawning guy.

I used my Canonet QL17 GIII rangefinder camera and Fuji Sensia film. I remember hoping for the best every time I clicked the shutter, since I wouldn't have second chances with this project. One of the things that terrify me about using film is also one of the best things I like about it: when you see the (film) photos you have taken and see a shot that looks really, really nice, you get this sense of accomplishment that you were able to capture a moment with just one, well-exposed and perfectly-timed shot. I think it's a feeling you don't (usually?) have when shooting digital--with digital I think, oh that's a nice shot. It should be, right, because you're shooting digital? Oh well, don't listen to me, perhaps it's just the film prude in me talking. :P These shots of slides were all wonderfully taken using a digital camera, so I'm not really one to complain. :)

No comments: